Saturday, January 31, 2015

Listen to Your body.. .

It knows what it needs to be healthy. Over a year ago, I went to a new doctor due to a change in insurance. She gave me a 10-lb weight loss goal to be met by my next office visit. Only thing is, I've been trying to lose weight, with no significant success, for years now. I really liked this doctor because she related to me as an individual and not a statistic. I was motivated to shed the weight but where do I begin?

I'd already taken the first step by going to see the doctor and actively discussing weight loss options: portion control, exercise and medications if needed. But what really "turned the light on" for me was the checkout form they give you as you leave. I read the examination notes and noticed terminology that wasn't expressly mentioned during our visit. To find out its meaning, I Googled it! Then I Googled books about its symptoms. This led me to a book by Jorge Cruise titled "Belly Fat Cure". I took the principles in the book - mostly because I like to eat what I like rather than preset meals - and applied them to the foods I would eat. At my next doctor's appointment, I'd lost eight out of the 10 pounds.  

With this new weight loss, I was motivated to do more, but what? One day at work, I was reading a Nursing magazine article that talked about an app that helps beginner runners train and complete their first 5K. The app is called Couch to 5K*. I've always wanted to run and now I've found an app that not only motivates me to run but prepares me to run a 5K. I'm now in my 6th week of an eight week program and I'm loving it. I'm motivated to walk/run every other day. It feels like a natural part of my day and not a grueling work out session. All in all, I've listened to my body in two different ways concerning making lasting and healthy lifestyle changes. I'm not only excited, I'm Enjoying the Journey! 

*The app I use is called 5K Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment