Saturday, November 1, 2014

About Me

I grew up in a large family of 9 girls (7 still living) and my Dad had four kids (1 still living) from a previous marriage when he married my Mom. With me being the youngest, I basically grew up with my sister's kids. As we got older and they started lives of their own, I found that I didn't really have a foundation with my sisters so I'm constantly forming new friendships with each of them. That in itself has been an experience for me because my girlfriends over the years have been more like sisters to me than my own siblings. 

I've always had an independent spirit. I've never been one to follow the crowd. But somehow, I would always end up leading the crowd. I learned early on to take care of me from being hurt by others. But sometimes I failed to shield me from being hurt by me. I was my own worst critic. There was a time when I would look at myself and not see a single thing that was noteworthy. However, I learned when I was in Elementary school to not judge others by what they had or didn't have. I remember one weekend my sister planned to braid my hair. We had family get togethers on the weekend and one of our neighbors three kids came to our house. They kids basically wore the same clothes every day and never really looked as if they took regular baths. My sister decided that she was going to braid the little girls' hair too. I told my sister that I wanted her to braid my hair first. To which she quickly let me know that I basically can get my hair braided at anytime on any day. But these girls' didn't know when they'd even get their hair combed again. 

I've always wanted to be a mother (marriage was optional). However, as I grow in God, I realize that I desire marriage also. The fact that I've been through so much hurt and pain and I still want to live life to the fullest is the greatest use of the love God has so richly given to me. Growing up, I wanted to be a teacher and a secretary. I teach God's word (prior Sunday school teacher, family bible study and through my life's experiences) and I'm a secretary at work. I took the long route to get here, but I'm here. I enjoy journaling, reading, hanging out with friends and I dabble with poetry and writing. Most recently, I've gotten more in touch with my artistic and creative side by taking art as therapy classes. Each day, I evolve more and more into the woman that God created me to be and I'm Enjoying the Journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment