Saturday, March 14, 2015

A Different World

Do you remember the series from back in the day with the above title? Well, I do and I'm enjoying watching it on Bounce TV. The part about this show that is capturing my attention now is the fact that Whitley Gilbert and Dwayne Wayne graduated and got married. From the beginning of the show, Dwayne was interested in Denise Huxtable but due to some behind the scenes (real life) issues, he ended up pursuing Whitley. Now they are married and their happily ever after turned into him not getting the coveted job with the company he interned with; and her being fired from the job that was in line with the degree she pursued. Now what? 

That's the question I found myself asking after I stepped out in faith for a career change and although I was doing what I'd trained for, the environment was so dysfunctional that complete elimination of my department was inevitable. Now I have people in my ear (as well as behind my back) saying that I "missed" God because surely, He wouldn't have me suffer through a reduction in force when I was doing what He called me to do. How do you counter such questions? A long time ago, God told me that I didn't have to defend Him: that He fights my battles. So I leave those questions alone and just ask them to pray for and with me that I'll recover all.

As with the show, life can and does hold unforeseen obstacles, challenges and trying times. But do you just give up when something happens that causes you to have to use an alternate route to get to your intended destination? Only if you don't have a vision for your life that will help you to persevere when things get hard will you give up. When you've been given a God-given vision and things don't look the way you think they should be looking, that's when you go to God and get further instructions and directions and the proposed plan of action. So, if you are familiar with the show, you know that Dwayne ultimately got hired on with the company and he and Whitley started a new life (she was also expecting a baby) in Japan. 

Just because you reach the destination does not mean that the vision is complete. God gave me a vision about my career change and I acted out on His directions. The company I worked for and the elimination of my department did not end the vision I was given. It only prepared me to be able to do more and be more effective in my next position. Through that ordeal, I learned to not become complacent just because I thought I had arrived. When you arrive at one place, it's the beginning of your journey somewhere else. Enjoy the Journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment