Saturday, October 18, 2014

My Lord

When I was in Elementary school, my neighbor friends invited me to their Church's Vacation Bible School. My Mom would not allow me to go because I was not a member of their church. I didn't understand why I couldn't go because she would send me to "our" church every Sunday. I thought that as long as you went to church, it shouldn't have mattered where the church was located. After their Vacation Bible School week ended, my friends told me how I was going to Hell because I did not participate in what they'd learned about Heaven and God that week. I basically obsessed about what they'd said because I didn't want to go to Hell just because my Mom wouldn't allow me to go to their church. One day I was sitting in the school cafeteria talking to this God that I had learned about when I went to "our" church and I told Him about everything that had happened; from my friends inviting me to their church, my Mom not letting me go, to my ultimately being doomed to Hell because I didn't attend their church. I told Him I didn't want to die and go to Hell and I asked Him to save me.

When I was in the Fourth grade, our teacher gave us an assignment to learn a Bible verse and recite it to the class. Since I now had a personal relationship with God, I asked Him which verse would He like me to learn. He told me the 23 Psalm. I learned it all and was very pleased when I could recite the whole thing to my class. Over the years, I've encountered many more bible chapter and verses that mean something to me. However, the 23 Psalm is my guiding light as I navigate through life. Not only does it remind me of all that I have in Christ, it centers me and never lets me forget my beginning with Him that even as a child, He cared so much for me. 

As I grew, I had salvation but no working knowledge of how to live a Godly lifestyle. Sure, God had saved me, then impressed upon my heart to be baptized but until that time came when I was in an environment where I could be taught how to live for Him, I lived pretty much as everyone else. I made the same promises to God that most everyone else did such as, "God, if You do this then I'll do that". I can remember the day He challenged that statement. He had just beautifully orchestrated me being able to buy a new car at a dealership He had my sister take me to whereas I'd previously been turned down at dealerships around town. As I was leaving heading home so I could "show off" my new car to family and friends, I thanked God for what He had done for me. But I sensed that He wasn't pleased. I asked Him what was wrong. That's when He stated, "I've done everything you've asked me to do for you, when will you do what I ask of you?" I knew what He was talking about. That day was a Wednesday and I'd been promising Him that I would start going to Bible Study but I never really put forth an effort to do so. After all, I went to church on Sunday, wasn't that enough? I told Him that instead of showing off my car, I would go to church that night. From that day to this one, I've been committed to church attendance, working in the church and renewing my mind with Gods word. Allowing Him to be Lord over my life has been the best thing to ever happen to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment