Saturday, May 16, 2015

Lord, Help me to Listen

Just like the fortune from a fortune cookie, a word from God can make you feel all good inside but what about its deeper meaning? When God speaks instructions, confirmation or correction to you, do you really listen or did you just hear what was said? To listen means to take notice of and act on what someone says; respond to advice or a request. In Luke 5:4-5 KJV when Jesus told Peter to let down his nets for a draught and Peter let down his net, did he really listen to what Jesus was directing him to do?

I found in my own life times where I've just heard what was spoken to me and often afterwards I've seen the vast potential that was forfeited because I didn't completely listen to what I'd heard. I'd taken that immediate zeal and moved out to accomplish what I thought needed to be done. However, on this side looking back, even though I had good intentions, I didn't see the overall picture and something was inadvertently left undone. That's when I realized I needed to see ALL of what God was saying in order to do ALL of what He said to do. So now even before I step out and just do something, I ask Him to help me to listen so that I can not only hear what's being said, I can fully act out on what was said.

Knowing that God doesn't move in my life apart from His word (or a Word from Him) has helped me to stay focused on what is being revealed to me. A year ago this time, I entered a season of great challenges: companies closing and/or downsizing, friendships being tested, hostile work environments and not having enough for basic needs. Through it all, I maintained my stance to fully listen to God's instructions. As I continued to trust God, He opened doors that I could not see. Not only that, He closed doors that I tried to go through which I later learned would not have benefited me one bit. Which brings me to my point, as long as you earnestly seek to actively listen to and participate in God's plan for your life, He won't allow you to fail.

3 comments:

  1. How will I know/ hear when Jesus talk to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, the presence or absence of Peace. When you're troubled about a matter, don't act or respond to the situation until you experience the Peace of God (quiet knowing that you're making the right choice). Second, it will line up with the Word of God. The more you spend time praying to God, the clearer His voice (ways) become to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete